Kobo Japanese Dictionary Enhancer 1.1

Lots of releases in quick succession – the new Kobo Japanese Dictionary Enhancer brings multi-dictionary support and merged translation support. Using the Wadoku project’s edict2 database we can now add also German translations.

kobo-japanese-dictionary-enhancer

Looking at the numbers, we have now 326064 translated entries when using the English edict2, and 368943 translated entries when using the German Wadoku edict version. And more than that, as an extra feature it is now also possible to have merged translations, so to have both German and English translations added.

kobo-dict-de-en

Please head over to the main page of the project for details and download instructions. If you need my help in creating the updated dictionary, please feel free to contact me.

Enjoy.

Email this to someonePrint this pageShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInFlattr the author

6 Responses

  1. Benjamin Lau says:

    Out of curiosity, is the furigana being added dynamically or is that in the book contents?

  2. Micha says:

    Thank you very much for providing an alternative to the regular Ja-Ja-Dictionary by offering a script which adds the entries from the Edict- and Wadoku-Project to the dictionary.

    I am using Mac OS 10.10.5, installed p7zip via Macports but still encounter a problem when using the original dichthtml_jaxxds.zip (~93mb). Apparently the cp command in the create_dict function runs into an error because the “Argument list too long”.

    $ perl enhance-dictionary.pl –dict=wadokudict2_20150705/wadokudict2 –dict=edict2 –merge –debug
    Using the following dictionaries as source for translations: wadokudict2_20150705/wadokudict2 edict2
    loading edict2 type from wadokudict2_20150705/wadokudict2 … Didn’t get description, skipping. Line nr 251299, =Interkontinentalflug m/Use of uninitialized value $fields[1] in pattern match (m//) at enhance-dictionary.pl line 279, line 253208.
    Use of uninitialized value in split at enhance-dictionary.pl line 282, line 253208.
    Didn’t get description, skipping. Line nr 253208, =領ろしめす;知ろしめす;done
    loading edict2 type from edict2 … done
    unpacking original dictionary … Y
    done
    reading file αa (.html)t files … 0%
    find_translation: searching for alpha blogger
    reading file ‥a (.html)t files … 0.01%

    find_translation: searching for ZIPコード
    find_translation: searching for ZIP+4
    loading and merging dict files … done
    total entries: 922379
    entries used from wadokudict2_20150705/wadokudict2: 367736
    entries used from edict2: 324937
    creating output html … done
    creating update dictionary in dicthtml-jaxxdjs-201508311538.zip … sh: /opt/local/bin/7z: Argument list too long
    done

    I am not too familiar with advanced Perl-scripting nor with Unix shell commands which is why I had little success in altering your script using the the find command (which supposedly creates an action per file instead of working with stacks)
    Also I didn’t found a way to increase the maximal stack size.

    $ getconf ARG_MAX
    262144

    This might be an MacOS/BSD problem but I would like to hear your opinion.

    Thank you very much in advance.

    • Thanks, indeed. I have fixed this in the script, so either get the new script from the github page, or replace in the script line 496 with

      `cd \"$new\" ; 7z a \"$out\" .`;

      Mind only the * is changed to a ..

      That should fix it.

      Thanks

    • I forgot: Concerning the error around “Interkontinentalflug”: That is an error in the wadoku edict file. If you edit it and search for “Interkontinentalflug” you will find about 10 consecutive wrong line breaks. Just remove them and move the definition which is on a line by itself up to the line where “Intercontinentalflug” is defined.

  3. Micha says:

    Thank you very much for the quick reply.

    The updated script fixed the problem. I will later edit the wadoku-database-file so that “Interkontinentalflug” will be displayed correctly.

    Thank you again for developing ways to customise Kobo eReaders and making them public. It helps me a lot since I have to read lots japanese papers for my major.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>