Kobo firmware 3.16.0 mega update (KSM, nickel patch, ssh, fonts)
As with all the previous versions, I have prepared a mega update for the Kobo firmware 3.16.0, including all my favorite patches and features. Please see details for 3.15.0, 3.13.1 and 3.12.1. As before, the following addons are included: Kobo Start Menu, koreader, coolreader, pbchess, ssh access, custom dictionaries, plus as a new treat, some side-loaded fonts. What I dropped this time is most of the kobohack part, as the libraries seem to get outdated. But I included the dropbear ssh server from the kobohack package.
So what are all these items:
- firmware (thread): the basic software of the device, shipped by Kobo company
- Kobo Start Menu (V07, update 4 thread): an menu that pops up before the reading software (nickel) starts, which allows to start alternative readers (like koreader) etc.
- KOreader (koreader-nightly-20150608, thread): an alternative document reader that supports epub, azw, pdf, djvu and many more
- pbchess and CoolReader (2015.5, thread): a chess program and another alternative reader, bundled together with several other games
- kobohack (web site): I only use the ssh servert
- ssh access (old post: makes a full computer from your device by allowing you to log into it via ssh
- custom dictionaries (thread): in particular Japanese-English
- side-loaded fonts: GentiumBasic and GentiumBookBasic, Verdana, DroidSerif, and Charter-eInk
Please see this post for details.
Here is the combined Kobo-3.16.0-combined/KoboRoot.tgz
First install the normal firmware as obtained from above. Then, install the KoboRoot.tgz from above.
Here a a few things you need to do after you have installed the mega update:
- ssh passwords and telnet disabling needs to be done! This is an important step, please see this old post and follow the steps from step 9.
The combined KoboRoot.tgz is provided without warranty. If you need to reset your device, don’t blame me!